Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Sweet Potato Casserole

I realize that Thanksgiving is over, but I have had a few requests for some of my Thanksgiving recipes.  For the next few days, I'll be finishing up the Attitude of Gratitude posts, as well as posting some recipes. 

Also, December is right around the corner and I have decided to participate in the December Daily challenge, like I did last year.  The point of the challenge is to take photos every day in December, to showcase how my family celebrates the holidays.  Most people who participate in the challenge create an album before the months starts, so that they can print pictures as they go and just pop them into their album.  I, of course, can barely find time to sit down and blog, so I will create my album afterwards!

The first recipe up for grabs is my Sweet Potato Casserole. Unfortunately, I forgot to take a pic, so you'll have to imagine what it looks like. LOL

Sweet Potato Casserole

3lbs of sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1 inch chunks
coarse salt and ground pepper
1/2 cup milk
4 tbsp butter
1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
2 cups mini-marshmallows

  1. Preheat oven to 375*. Place sweet potatoes in a large saucepan, and cover with cold water by 1 inch. Salt generously. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to a simmer and cook until easily pierced, about 15-20 minutes.
  2. Drain potatoes and return to pan. Heat over medium, stirring until liquid has evaporated and a thin film covers bottom of pan, about 2 minutes.
  3. Remove from heat; add milk, butter and nutmeg. Mash until smooth, season with salt and pepper. Transfer to a 2 quart casserole. (To make ahead, refrigerate after this step).
  4. Top casserole with marshmallows and bake until center is warmed through and marshmallows are lightly browned, about 20 minutes.

2 comments:

  1. Made this tOo! The only difference is that I sneak some brown sugar into it for a dessert like flavor!! Hee Hee...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love me some sweet potato casserole!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin