Saturday, July 2, 2011

Another grilling tip

This is one of my favorite simple and easy side dishes in the summer. Whether we are having grilled hot dogs, hamburgers, steaks, pork or chicken, this will go wonderfully.

Peel and slice two sweet potatoes (I also use regular potatoes when I don't have sweet on hand) into french fry sized strips. I like to also add some chopped sweet onion. You might also want to add some bell pepper strips.  Place them on a square piece of aluminum foil.  Drizzle with olive oil, salt and pepper.  Fold up the aluminum foil so that it is in a nice tight pouch.  Place over indirect heat (like the top rack) of your grill or off to the side, away from the flame for about 15-20 minutes, turning often.

It's difficult to give an exact time for this. You'll have to experiment with your own grill because temperatures vary greatly from grill to grill. I have found 15 minutes works well for my grill and I turn the pouches often.  A few times I've over cooked them and the potatoes got mushy, but were still very tasty!  I'd rather have them overcooked than raw, I suppose.

Experiment with other veggies too! Zucchini and Squash are super yummy grilled and you don't have to worry about messy clean up!

2 comments:

  1. Yes. This is an excellent way to grill great veggies. We prefer zucchini and carrots with potatoes. I love to add French onio soup mix as seasoning! Yum. I think this is on tomorrow grilling list!! Thank you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. mmm, sounds delicious. I love grilled veggies. We went through a phase last summer where we were always grilling peaches and pineapple too:)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin