Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Super Simple Marinade


Summer is here, and my favorite part is my blooming garden. I have a pretty large garden on the side of my house, which houses different fruits and veggies every year. Of course, it always has onions, tomatoes and hot peppers.  This year it also has some cucumbers, strawberries, basil, and cilantro.  Using some of my herbs, I found that this is a super easy way to make a marinade for chicken, veal or pork chops. 

Take a gallon size Ziploc bag and add your protein of choice (pork chops are pictured above). Drizzle in a tablespoon or two of EVOO, a splash of balsamic vinegar (or any vinegar: white, cider, red wine), throw in a handful of chopped herbs (I used lemon basil), and squirt of a half lemon, salt and pepper. Zip up the bag and shake it until everything is mixed.  Refrigerate for at least an hour, but you can make this a day or two ahead of time as well.  Grill or cook as usual. The meat will have a delicate lemony flavor, but will be nice and tenderized from the lemon/vinegar combo!

2 comments:

  1. yummo! LOVE LOVE LOVE IT! I really wish I had a spot for a garden (gotta love city living!!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds delicious Shel! And super easy too! Any tips for me for getting an herb garden started? We only have a teeny back patio, but it gets decent sunshine.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin