Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Raspberry Monte Cristo


When Jack and I were dating, we used to go to this cute little donut shop for sandwiches and donuts late at night. It was so unhealthy, but so delish!  One of our favorite sandwiches was the Monte Cristo.  This one is a sticky, tart version of that yummy sammie!

Ingredients:
Whole Wheat bread (2 thick slices per person)
Boiled Ham (I prefer Krakus, sliced medium)
Turkey (sliced thinner)
Swiss cheese
Raspberry preserves (about 2 Tbsp), more for topping
Honey (about 2 Tbsp)
Dijon mustard (1 Tbsp)
Powdered sugar (optional)
2 eggs
Splash of milk, heavy cream, or water
2 Tbsp butter

In a small bowl, combine the raspberry preserves, honey and Dijon mustard. Mix well.
In a second bowl, combine eggs and milk, cream or water. Mix thoroughly.
Spread the raspberry-Dijon mixture on the insides of two slices of bread. Place a couple slices of ham, cheese and turkey in between the bread.  Dip the entire sandwich into the egg mixture, getting both sides wet. 

Heat a skillet over medium heat.  Melt butter in skillet. Place the sandwich into the skillet and cook until both sides are light brown and cheese melts.  Serve by spreading a little more of the raspberry-Dijon mixture on top and sprinkle with powdered sugar.

4 comments:

  1. I haven't had a Monte Cristo sandwich in FOREVER. This looks so good. My family liked to switch things up a bit and we would make Monte Cristos by rolling out Pillsbury Crescent roll dough on a baking sheet, loading it with ham, cheese, and turkey, and then topping it with another rolled out Pillsbury Crescent Roll dough sheet. Press the edges down to keep everything inside and bake. YUM.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so having my husband make this soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOW. I bet Brandan would LOVE this TWIST!

    ReplyDelete
  4. holy yum. Once, I think I was pregnant with A...we were in New Orleans and at some art museum and had THE BEST monte cristo ever in their teeny cafe. I don't think I have had one since then...but I should change that;) And S is so not a ham lover but he loved that sandwich!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin