Thursday, June 30, 2011

A little Polish dish for you!

I don't know very much about my mother-in-law. She passed away just one month before I started dating Jack. I've seen lots of pictures and heard a few stories, but the one thing I know for sure is that she was a good cook. Of course, my husband was a teenager when his mother passed and never bothered to ask or learn how to make all of the wonderful dishes that she made for him. (Which is why I love when Matt cooks with me! I hope he'll treasure those memories always!)

Jack will describe dishes that she made and he or I will try to replicate them from his descriptions, but it's pretty complicated. One dish that he remembers from his childhood in Poland is called nalesniki. (It is pronounced nothing like it looks. I think the English phonetic pronouncation would be something like: (Nah-lesh-NEE-kai) and that may actually be the Lithuanian pronunciation. Whatever. On with the story...

So, many years ago Jack wanted to create this dish that his mom used to make for him when he was a child. He didn't know what ingredients she used, but he knew the taste. He said it was like a really, super thin blintze. So, he searched through my Joy of Cooking cookbook, found a recipe for blintzes and modified it until it tasted like his mom's dish.

So, without further ado, here is Jack and his amazing Nalesnikis...



Nalesniki
(Jack's mom used to make this as a breakfast meal, but Americans eat blintzes for dessert too, so we used it for both. Today was a dessert!)

1/2 cup flour
1/2 cup milk
1/4 cup lukewarm water
2 eggs
2 Tbsp butter, melted
1 & 1/2 Tbsp sugar (plus more for filling)
Pinch of salt

Filling:
Cream Cheese
Vanilla Sugar
Powdered Sugar

Stir or (blend in a food processor) all of the ingredients until smooth. Pour batter into a crepe pan that has been coated with a little butter. Lift the pan off the heat, tilting and rotating so that the batter forms an even, thin layer. When the top is set and the underside is golden, flip.  Cook until the second side is lightly browned. Place on wax paper to cool. 

For the filling. Mix together 2 parts cream cheese to one part sugar (or make it as sweet as you prefer). I like mine less sweet.  Spread a really thin layer of the cream cheese onto the crepe/Nalesniki.  Roll it up. Sprinkle with fruit of your choice and powdered sugar.


Enjoy!

4 comments:

  1. Yum!

    Why is it food tastes SO much better when it has a story to define it? I am glad that Jack's persistence paid off and he found the recipe he was dreaming of!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks SO good.

    I tried to make gluten-free crepes once and they turned out awful. I don't know if it was the gluten-free flour or the fact that I don't have a crepe pan. I don't know. How about you just come over and make some for me? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. those look lije crepes, i love them. make them all the time :P

    ReplyDelete
  4. YUM! I tried making crepes once a long time ago and it didn't turn out so well;) Maybe I should try again:)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin