Monday, June 20, 2011

Crock Pot Cider Beef

You know I love a good one pot meal. Life is so much simpler when I don't have to dirty every pot and pan in my cupboard (and I have a lot of pots and pans. Several sets to be exact.) And just a side note -- the cheaper sets are so much better than the fancy, expensive sets I registered for. Gotta love the cheapies! Heehee

Back to the dish. Not sure where I found this one, but it's very yummy. It was my first time working with turnips and I am hooked! I will definitely be using them again. They smell kind of radish-y when raw, but cooked, they taste like a sweet version of a yellow potato. My husband tells me that he used to eat raw turnips as a child in Poland, but he ate lots of weird things as a kid, so that doesn't mean they are tasty! LOL

Crock Pot Cider Beef
1.5 lbs. sirloin roast (buy a cheap cut, because it will still fall apart after cooking all day)
3 yellow potatoes, diced (don't peel)
3 turnips, peeled and diced (I bought them from a bag and they were super easy to peel, but I've heard that some are waxy and not so easy to work with. My advice: Look for non-waxy turnips!)
3 carrots, peeled and sliced
1 yellow onion, chopped
1/2 cup beef broth
1/4 cup flour
2 cups apple cider (the cloudier, the better)

Place all chopped veggies into the bottom of the slow cooker.  Sprinkle the flour on top and stir.  Season the beef with salt and pepper (I used seasoned salt for a little extra flavor).  Place beef on top of veggies. Pour in the cider and broth.  Cook on low heat for 6-8 hours.  I picked the beef up and sliced it on a cutting board, then added it back to the veggies. It was great in a bowl with a bread stick for sopping up the juices. The kids loved it and couldn't tell the difference between the potatoes and turnips!

2 comments:

  1. mmm, this sounds great too. I have never used turnips before!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am all over this crock pot recipe thing! I LOVE the tenderness that it adds to so many dishes. I, too, have not tried turnips...hmmm. I'll investigate with all this TIME on my hands this summer!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin