Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Mermaid Project

Lily and I made this fun project last year and she wanted to do it again this year. It's really simple and you can adapt it to any character.




  1. Draw a mermaid onto a large piece of kraft paper. Cut it out.



  2. Trace just the tail onto a piece of aluminum foil (shiny side up) and cut it out.



  3. Turn the foil over so that the shiny side is down and draw scales with a pen on the matte side. (The impression will show on the reverse side.)



  4. Glue the tail onto the kraft mermaid.



  5. Mix tempera or acrylic paint with a tiny bit of white school glue and paint a random pattern onto the scales.



  6. Paint the mermaids hair and bikini top.



  7. To make a boy character, try Sponge-Bob Square Pants, or a boy with a big hat. Any modification will do.

5 comments:

  1. This is so cute...love the idea with the scales!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's really cute, Shel - think I'll use that on a scrap page about swimming, which I used to a lot of when I was little. Thanks for the idea!

    ReplyDelete
  3. re: your comment on my blog

    I'm a tough critic, what can I say? :) I'm always looking for new book recommendations. Whaddya got for me?

    ReplyDelete
  4. How cute is this?!?! Thanks for the tutorial!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin