Saturday, January 22, 2011

Shel's Stuffed Shel(l)s

I lovvvvve pasta. It's so bad for me, I know. I watch the Biggest Loser religiously. I listen to Oprah's trainer, Bob Greene. They say to avoid pasta and cheese like the plague, but I can't. Of course, I don't pig out. I try to eat everything in moderation (except that bag of Bugles I bought last month. Worst. Decision. Ever!) but that is another conversation all together.

For those of you, like me, who like to endulge in a little pasta now and then...here's a nice fattening one to enjoy! Shel's Stuffed Shel(l)'s:

Ingredients:
1 package Jumbo pasta shells
28 oz whole ricotta cheese (low fat is fine!)
4 oz parmesan cheese
1/2 cup grated romano
1 whole egg
salt and pepper
basil
parsley
EVOO
1/2 medium onion, chopped
5 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 pound ground beef or Italian sausage
1/2 cup red wine
28 oz whole crushed tomatoes
2 Tbsp sugar
1/2 tsp salt

Cook pasta for half of the cooking time. Drain and rinse in cool water.

Heat 2 Tbsp EVOO in dutch oven over med-high heat. Add onions, garlic and saute for 2 minutes. Add sausage or beef and brown. Pour in red wine and cook for 2 more minutes.

Pour in tomatoes and stir. Add sugar and salt. Add a dash of basil and parsley (and oregano if you like). Bring to a boil and reduce heat to low. Cover and cook 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.

In separate bowl, mix ricotta, 4 oz. Parmesan, Romano, egg, and salt and pepper, basil and parsley (2 Tbsp fresh) to taste.

To assemble coat the bottom of dish with sauce. Fill each half-cooked shell with cheese mixture. Place face down on the sauce. Repeat until cheese mixture is gone. Top with remaining sauce. Bake at 350* for 25 minutes.
I like to serve it with wilted spinach.

6 comments:

  1. My mother in law makes really good stuffed shells and she uses a cake icing squeezer to stuff each shell!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Made these about two weeks ago. There's nothin' better than ricotta and meat stuffed into pasta. No one will tell me I can't indulge in this! Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I suffer the same love of pasta and cheese.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm coming to your house for dinner!

    And for the record, whole wheat pasta is a good alternative when you want just pasta. I don't care for it for something like stuffed shells, but with some veggies, it's good.

    ReplyDelete
  5. i love love love stuffed shells ... well i pretty much love any pasta with alot of ricctta cheese in it :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. yuuuuuuummmy! I made the chicken tortilla soup-it was fabulous:)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin