Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Crock Pot Split Pea soup & Yogurt Parfaits

My all-time favorite soup is Split Pea. I think a close second is French Onion with bread and melted cheese. I don't know what it is about Split Pea. The name is gross. The color isn't all that purdy either! I think it reminds me of being a kid. My mom used to make it and I can recall my Gram (great grandmother on my dad's side) making it too. Traditional pea soup has lots of ham and/or bacon in it, but seeing that I am not a ham-fan, I chose to leave it out of mine. I shredded some cooked ham in it for the fam, though.

When Matthew ate the soup, he told me that it was "Brilliant!" Wow! What a compliment from an 8 year old.

Crock Pot Split Pea Soup
1/2 cup fresh parsley
thyme
1 lb. green split peas
2 stalks celery, chopped
2 carrots, chopped
7 cups water

1. The original recipe calls for parsley stems and fresh thyme sprigs to be tied together with kitchen string and placed into the slow cooker. I'm too lazy for tying herbs, so I used chopped parsley right in the soup with some dried thyme. Add split peas, celery, carrots, 1 tsp salt and 1/2 tsp pepper. Stir to combine. Add water. Cover and cook on low about 6-8 hours.
2. Season to taste. Top with a dollop of non-fat yogurt, shredded ham and/or a handful of thawed frozen peas.

Matthew saw these yummy yogurt parfaits is a cooking magazine that I was flipping through, and he said he wanted to make them.

Yogurt Parfaits
1 qt strawberries, hulled, quartered
1 tsp sugar
4 graham crackers
1 cup nonfat yogurt
2 tbsp honey
1/2 tsp cinnamon

Crumble one graham cracker into the bottom of each of 4 glasses. In a separate bowl toss strawberries with one teaspoon sugar. (I used vanilla sugar. Yummo!) Top graham crackers with strawberries. Mix yogurt with 2 Tbsp honey and 1/2 tsp cinnamon. Spoon over berries.


Yogurt parfaits:


2 comments:

  1. Your blog looks fabulous!! Doesn't it feel just like after you moved furniture at your house. Gives a whole new perspective on it, right?! Yum yum. I want a good recipe for French onion soup. Trade you for tamales?!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mmmm, that soup looks tasty, as do the yogurt parfaits. We have been snacking all week on some homemade granola I made last weekend.

    I love Matt's comment about the soup, so cute!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin