Saturday, January 15, 2011

Chicken Tortilla Soup

Many years ago, before children, in a galaxy far far away, Jack and I went to Cancun with our friends Dennis and Andra. We stayed in this fabulous resort. Our friends got sick on the trip (I think from drinking the water) and we ended up spending a lot of time at the hotel. So, we decided to try some of the delicious dishes on the room service menu. We went crazy for the chicken tortilla soup! I don't know what it WAS about that soup, but we loved it! I think we ordered it several times! When we came home from the trip we tried a few times to replicate the soup, to no avail!

This soup isn't exactly the same. The one in Mexico was more of a clear, broth base, but this one blows the Mexico soup out-of-the-water! And that's saying a LOT!

I found the recipe for this soup on the Pioneer Woman website, but I made some modifications to it, because I'm me. And I like to do things my way! Heehee (Jack is nodding his head right now!)

So, here is my version of:
Chicken Tortilla Soup
2 boneless chicken breasts
EVOO
1 & 1/2 tsp cumin
1 tsp Chili powder
1/2 tsp garlic powder
salt and pepper to taste
1 diced red onion
1/2 diced orange pepper
1/2 diced yellow pepper
1/2 diced red pepper
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 can Rotel tomatoes with chiles
32 oz. chicken stock
3 Tbsp tomato paste
4 cups water
2 cans black beans, drained
3 Tbsp cornmeal
5 whole corn tortillas, cut into strips
cilantro
1 lime
sour cream, optional

  1. Preheat oven to 375*. Mix cumin, chili powder, garlic powder and little salt. Drizzle 1 Tbsp olive oil on 2 chicken breasts and sprinkle small amout of spice mix on both sides. Reserve the remaining spice mix.
  2. Place chicken breasts on baking sheet and bake for 25 minutes or until chicken is cooked through. Shred chicken with forks when done. Set aside chicken.
  3. Heat 1 Tbsp EVOO in a pot over medium high heat. Stir in tomato paste. (I've read that cooking tomato paste in olive oil helps to remove acidity. I didn't taste it, but I'm going with it...). Stir for a minute or two. Add onions, garlic, and peppers. Stir in the remaining spice mix. Cook 3-4 minutes or until soft.
  4. Pour in Rotel, chicken stock, water, black beans. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to a simmer. Stir in reserved shredded chicken.
  5. Mix cornmeal with a small amount of water. Pour into soup. (Adds a slight corn flavor. Very slight. In fact, this is optional because I hardly tasted it at all. Maybe if you add more, it'll make a difference. Try it and let me know.) Add a couple of handfuls of chopped cilantro and the juice of one-half of a lime.
  6. Allow to simmer for 15-20 minutes. Ladel into bowl and top with a dollop of sour cream, some chopped cilantro, a sprinkle of red onion and a lime slice!

Enjoy!

5 comments:

  1. I have a similar recipe for the crock. Perfect when you want that warming spice on a cold Chicago day!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I could go for a bowl of that now. Smells good!

    ReplyDelete
  3. i will have to try it. I never thought i would even try to make the stuff, love it all the same (we have a few resturants we hit for this soup) ... hmmmm

    ReplyDelete
  4. Definitely trying this! Maybe this week when S is out of town, I am more of a soup person than him.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I make tortilla soup a lot. Mom makes a really good version. I made one with chipotles in adobe sauce in it and it was really spicy. We were sweating when we were eating it, but still enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin