Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Salisbury Steak and December Daily Day 8

I totally forgot to take a picture of my salisbury steak before I began eating, so I apologize for the half eaten steak. LOL It was really tasty. If you are not a fan of mushrooms, feel free to omit those. It's still delicious without them.

Here is the yummy recipe.

1 lb. ground beef
1 large egg, lightly beaten
1/4 onion, finely chopped. (Mine were kind of chunky. Wish I had minced them).
7 saltine crackers, crushed
1 tsp fresh sage
salt and pepper
3 Tbsp butter
8 oz. sliced mushrooms
2 tsp Worcestershire sauce
3 Tbsp flour
1-2 Tbsp chopped fresh parsley
2 & 1/2 cups hot water
Egg noodles



1. Cook egg noodles according to package directions.
2. Gently mix the beef, egg, onion, cracker crumbs, sage, 1/2 tsp salt, and a few shakes of pepper in a large bowl. Divide into 4 equal portions, shape into oval patties about 1/2 inch thick.
3. Add 1 Tbsp butter in large skillet. Brown patties about 4 minutes per side. Transfer to a plate.
4. Add 1 Tbsp to the skillet and cook mushrooms until browned, about 2 minutes. Stir in the Worcestershire. Salt and pepper to taste, scraping up browned bits. Sprinkle in flour and stir. Add 2 1/2 cups hot water and simmer until sauce begins to thicken about 2 minutes. Add the remaining 1 Tbsp butter, swirling to combine.
5. Return the patties to the skillet. Simmer until sauce thickens about 4 minutes. Sprinkle with parsley and serve over noodles.



In other news, my Day 8 photos and stories are of my favorite Christmas ornaments. I love the ones that were handmade by the kids or ones that tell a special story.


Matt made this first one in first grade...

I treasure the ones I got when I was a full-time classroom teacher. I do miss those days...sometimes. :)


We got this one from someone right after we got married.
Our friends Pete and Kristen sent us this one when Zoey was born...

The first time Jack and I went to Disney together (1995..we are so old), we bought this one...



Matt made this one in Kindergarten. The snowmen were made from his fingerprints.

I plan to make a collage of our ornaments with stories about my favorites.

2 comments:

  1. The Salisbury Steak looks delicious!! I'll have to try that one. Also, the little snowman handprint ornament brings me back! I used to make that with my kindergarten class for parent gifts as well!! I have one on my tree just like that from my class. Love it!! Kim Gibbons

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the stories and all your ornaments! The salisbury steak looks yummy too, thanks for sharing that one!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin