Saturday, December 18, 2010

Peppermint Bark

Every year I make some version of this holiday classic. I like to switch it up a bit, so I tend to make a few different kinds. This month's issue of Food Network Magazine has some interesting twists for bark ideas. Check them out!

In the meantime, here are three different kinds that I made:

The basic ingredients for the recipe that I follow is:
nonstick cooking spray
wax paper
1 pound white chocolate, chopped (I use almond bark. It works exactly the same and tastes better!)
2 cups puffed rice or wheat cereal. (I have even used Sugar Smacks. It's all good!)
1 package candy canes, unwrapped and smashed (about 7 oz.)

1. Spray cookie sheet with cooking spray. Line with a piece of waxed paper. The spray keeps the paper in place and makes it easy to remove the bark later. Crush the candy canes (or whatever candy you are using).

2. Place the almond bark or white chocolate chips in a microwave safe bowl. Heat for about 1 minute, 30 seconds and stir. Continue microwaving for 15 second intervals until melted. Don't overcook. It will make your chocolate nasty and hard.

3. Stir the cereal into the melted chocolate. Spread onto the waxed paper.

4. Sprinkle the crushed candy onto the melted chocolate. With another piece of wax paper, cover the entire surface and press gently. (This prevents your hands from sticking to candy and chocolate).

5. Chill for 20-30 minutes. (I actually put mine in the frigid garage for 5 minutes and it was ready! God Bless 10 degree Chicago weather! LOL)

6. Peel off wax paper. Break bark into 2 inch pieces. Store in airtight container for 2-3 weeks.



The other versions I made were with melted semi-sweet chocolate chips and the almond bark. I melted the two kinds separately. I dumped both onto the waxed paper and swirled them together with my spoon. I sprinkled half with crushed Butterfinger bars and half with M&Ms. (Matt's favorite candy is Butterfinger and Lil's is M&Ms). Be creative and have fun!

My December Daily photo is my little helper here, who helped me to crush the candy canes! She's going through a stage where she won't look at the camera until I put it down and then continues to say, "Cheeeeeese," for 15 minutes. The second I pick up the camera, she stops! LOL
Thanks, Zuzu!!!

3 comments:

  1. Zuzu is a cutie!
    Great recipe. I'll have to give it a try.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I cannot get enough of peppermint bark. I am going to have to share this recipe with my mom. We both love eating it, but we've never made our own!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm hoping you got those pics I snapped of Zoey on Sunday - she was looking, but making silly facesand SO cute. That BARK was deeelicious, tell me you got a picture of the whole spread. It was Devine.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin