Wednesday, December 1, 2010

December Daily

Happy December 1st! This year I have decided to jump on the December Daily bandwagon. One of my favorite artists, Ali Edwards, is hosting a December Daily challenge on her blog http://aliedwards.com/2009/12/december-daily-compilation.html



The basic story behind the challenge is that you take a photo a day for the 25 days of Christmas that tell the story of how your family celebrates the holidays. I know that I will NEVER be able to limit it to only 25 pics, but I think I'll have one main pic for each day of the week, with a story to go with it, and perhaps a collage of the rest of the pics to illustrate all of the other stuff.



Some of my ideas for pics that I plan to take are: the weather outside (which I did for today and will explain in a moment), our tree, our lights, the stockings hanging from the fireplace, baking cookies (which will begin shortly), the manger under the tree, our favorite Christmas stories, our Christmas Eve and Christmas Day traditions and so much more!!!

My first photo was taken this morning as I walked the kids to the bus stop. I thought it was an interesting way to document the first day of December because it shows leaves on the ground, which signify the end of fall, and a dusting of snow, which of course, is indicative of winter!!! However, the pic is so dull and gray, and boring. So...I may have to have this pic surrounded by colorful embellishments or as part of a collage. What do you think?
It's been awhile since I posted any recipes, but this one was so delcious last night that I just have to share. It's a slow cooker recipe, so get out those ol
crockpots, you won't want to miss this...
Tex Mex Chicken and Beans:
1 cup dried pinto beans
1 can pinto beans
1 small can chiles (mild or medium, depending upon what you like. If you choose mild, it won't be spicy at all - just flavorful)
2 tbsp flour
1 1/2 lbs boneless, skinless chicken thighs or breasts
salt and pepper
1 medium red onion, chopped
1 red pepper, chopped
1 jar of your favorite salsa
sour cream
1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
1.Combine in your slow-cooker the following: beans, salsa, chiles, flour, and 1 cup water. Season chicken with salt and pepper, arrange on top of bean mixture. Scatter onion and bell pepper on top of chicken.
2. Cover and cook on low for 8 hours. Do not open lid or stir.
3. Remove chicken, shred and return to stew. Serve topped with sour cream and cilantro. (I also added some elbow macaroni noodles to give it a chili-feel). Enjoy!

4 comments:

  1. mmmm that chicken and beans looks like the perfect winter meal!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Indicative, indeed! Love snow...especially the first day in December!

    As for the LO for this page (I can see you are going to make this an AFTER album rather than the traditional BEFORE album that AE makes...) I would say not too many envelopes to take away from the snow. How about a soft blue pp and little white snowflakes comin out on opposite ends of the pic?

    ReplyDelete
  3. i would go with some "snow" themed paper, and leave it at that. its about the story not the photo. :)

    and totally YEAH! on the dd album :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with Jakki...some pp with a faint snowflake print would be pretty:)
    May have to try that recipe next week-I gotta start rocking the crock pot again!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin