Friday, December 17, 2010

Balsamic Pork Chops, Mashed Potatoes and Asparagus

This is your standard meat and potatoes kinda dish, but this one utilizes that "other white meat!" LOL I like to use boneless pork chops, but I am sure this would work with bone-in, just make sure the pork is cooked through. I marinate my pork chops in a drizzle of balsamic vinegar on both sides, then salt and pepper. I throw the pork chops on my indoor grill pan and grill a few minutes on each side or until no longer pink. While the pork chops are grilling I boil about 5 potatoes. My regular blog readers know that I don't measure and I also don't time my potatoes. I keep checking them with a fork until I know they are cooked through. If I had to guess, I'd say that I boil them for under 10 minutes.

When the potatoes are cooked through, I drain them. I add about a 1/4 cup milk. If I have buttermilk on hand, I always use that instead of regular milk. I also add a few tablespoons of butter. Then I whip them with my electric hand mixer. I salt and pepper to taste. I am the worst gravy-maker in the world, so I usually top them with the pan drippings from my pork chops. No one knows the difference and the balsamic makes the most delicious gravy.

Asparagus is so easy to make. I learned this trick from Alton Brown (one of my all-time Food Network faves, along with Rach, Bobby, Guy, Sandra, and that cute little Mexican girl who does the Mexican Made Easy show-- I forgot her name). Anyway, Alton says to hold the asparagus spears in your hand and bend both ends until it snaps. That's the natural break for the tough end and no cutting necessary. Wrap all of the spears in one giant, dappened paper towel and place on a microwave safe plate. Microwave for about 3 minutes. Perfectly cooked spears. To add a little more flavor I sometimes place the asparagus in a glass Pyrex dish with a couple of cut up lemons, drizzle some EVOO over the top of the spears, salt and pepper, cover and cook in the microwave for 3 minutes. :)

December Daily pics: Hanging the candy canes on the Xmas tree. Did I post these pics already? If so, nevermind...if not, enjoy...






1 comment:

  1. You've been cooking up a storm lady!! Looks yummy!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin