Friday, December 31, 2010

2010 in Review

I am about to steal the idea of my good friend, Candi. Candi and I taught together for quite a few years. I was her mentor during her second year of teaching. Neither she nor I work at that school anymore, but because of our connections through scrapbooking and blogging, we stay in constant contact. See, modern technologies are good for something!! :) So, Candi had this great idea to look back at her photos and blogs from the past year and listed her top 10 memories. It took me a long time to go through all 3966 photos that I took this year, but I did! (Thank goodness for a baby that naps 2-3 hours a day!) And without further ado, here are my favorites from the past year.... Thanks, Candi


Top 10 Memories of 2010:

10: Music and Dancing:
Our family loves music! Not just loves...but lives through music! Just hanging out around the house, there is always some kind of music playing in the background. Matt recently discovered my old Aerosmith cds (after loving the Rock and Roller Coaster at Disney’s Hollywood Studios, brought to us by Aerosmith). Lily takes jazz, hip-hop and ballet classes, and is in constant motion of some dance move every moment of the day. Lily and I are also lovers of musical theater. This year we went to see Annie and the Lion King. I found a collection of photos from the year that represent our family’s love of music and dancing!




9: Passions:
What would life be without hobbies or passions to pull us through? I have many: photography, cooking, reading, crafting, and, of course, scrapbooking! This year I created 209 layouts. Jack’s hobby is home construction. He loves projects: wood-working, painting, dry wall, etc. Matt’s passion is roller coasters. He builds them, designs them, and best of all, rides them!! Lily loves music and dance. Zoey loves all things Disney!! Our lives are so much more fulfilled because of these passions!






8: Celebrations:
So many celebrations, so little time...birthdays, holidays, and a fabulous year-end wedding! Check out these special moments from 2010:





7: Good Times with Great Friends:

Life would be so boring without our wonderful, loyal friends. I have a lot of friends and was a little disappointed that I didn’t have any pictures from 2010 with some of my bestest friends. I’m apologizing in advance to Mary A., Kim W., Jen W., and Sue D. that I didn’t take any pics of us this year. Never fear! I am armed and ready to snap your pic in 2011. In the meantime, here are some of my favorite snaps of friends from this year.



6: Animals:
Oh, animals...how I share this love-hate relationship with you! We had some horrible experiences with animals this year: the dreaded dog bite on baby Z’s face and who can forget the goldfish extravaganza? But, we added some loving pets to our family. Our two cats were thrilled for us to bring home 2 guinea pigs: Butterscotch and Astro. We lost 2 goldfish, but we gained 2: Silvey and Mippy. We also took lots of visits to pet stores, petting zoos and animal farms to get our animal fixes! Here are some of the highlights:





5: The Pool:
Nothing beats having our own pool in the middle of ridiculously hot Chicago summers! We spent pretty much every day in the pool for the entire summer! Here are just a few of our favorite moments:





4: Family:
This year began with sad news, as my husband’s father passed away. My children ask lots of questions about their ancestors, so it adds fuel to my scrapbooking fire. I try to document as much about the people in our family, both near and far, so the kids can learn about where they came from and who I hope they will become. I am lucky to live so close to my parents! My mom, dad and sisters are able to be here for all of our special occasions and sometimes “just because!” I treasure the fact that my children are growing up feeling so loved by so many! We ended the year with some wonderful news: my sister Jackie’s engagement! I look forward to tons of wedding-related pics in 2011! Take a look at a sampling of family pics from 2010:






3: Blogging:
I began blogging on 4/11/08. This is my 104th blog post for this year alone. I began blogging because I want to share pics of my kids and scrapbook pages with family and friends all around the world. My husband has family in Poland and Italy. My family is spread around the US from: Florida to St. Louis, and all around the state of Illinois. I also have met a lot of friends who share and inspire scrapbooking, cooking and blogging ideas from the New England states to Florida, Iowa, South Dakota, and California. This year I have tried a few new photography challenges such as documenting a week in our life through photos in April and the December Daily challenge this month. I learn through trial and error, personal reflection and from others! I hope to participate in more challenges next year as well!







2: Disney Vacation:
Vacations are stressful for our family, but they are also so much fun! This year’s vacation was one of our best. The kids were good. They had fun and we got to see some of our favorite relatives! A peek at the best moments from the trip:







1: Being a SAHM (Stay-at-home-mom):
Well, all good things must come to an end. This year, the non-profit organization that I worked for the past 4 years had to down-size. Don’t get me wrong, I love-love-loved my job, but getting to spend time with my baby is the most wonderful experience of my life! I feel bad that I had to go back to work full-time after I had Matt and Lily, but everything happens for a reason. With Lily’s recent diagnosis and special needs, I am around to take her to all of her appointments now. I can volunteer at all school events. I can be there for field trips and parties. I can teach my baby all of her colors, shapes (including octagon) and numbers (in English and Spanish)! This year has been so rewarding and special and I would not have changed it for the world!!




So, on this last day of 2010, raise your glass in a toast with me...
Here's to preserving the past, living in the present and dreaming of a wonderful future! Cheers! Happy New Year!

4 comments:

  1. Isn't it awesome? Really puts perspective on the year, no? I'm excited to see what twenty eleven has in store! Happy new year, my friend!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy New Year Shel! I hope 2011 brings you more time to blog, because I love your blogs; more time to scrap, because I love this hobby; more time for photos, because I love my own camera & taking pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love it!!! I just finished my post:)

    Happy New Year Shel!! You are such a strong woman and mama and I admire you greatly for balancing everything you have on your plate! Can't wait to see what 2011 brings us all:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. 209 layouts!? I'm super impressed! :-) And also, that cupcake mini album that you made is the most adorable thing! Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin