Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Roasted Beef, Mushroom Barley Soup

It was pretty cold here on Halloween...somewhere in the mid 40*s, so I decided to keep us warm with some homemade soup. This recipe is pretty easy and so tasty.
Preheat your oven to 425*. On a rimmed cookie sheet toss together 1 pound of sirloin steak, cut into 1/2 to 1 inch pieces, 1 pound of mushroom (stems trimmed and caps halved), 1 small onion chopped and 2 tablespoons of EVOO; season with salt and pepper. Arrange on a single layer and roast until beef and mushrooms are browned, about 15-25 minutes.

Transfer to a medium pot and add 4 cups low-sodium chicken, beef or veggie broth (or water) and 1/2 cup quick cooking barley. This is the barley that I used. Make sure it's not the slow-cooking stuff. Bring the mixture to a boil over medium high, then reduce heat and simmer until barley is soft, about 12 minutes. Serve with an extra dash of salt, pepper and chopped fresh parsley!


2 comments:

  1. That sounds really easy and yummy!

    For the design team, I don't get any sweet perks, just the honor of saying that I'm on a design team. :) You should totally submit your past layout!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That does sound easy:) I am not a mushroom fan though (I know-weird!). I made the ratatouille stoup tonight-it was yum yum yummy! Thanks lady-keep posting things for me to try:)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin