Thursday, October 14, 2010

A Two-Fer For Dinner

I love meals that fulfill double duty. Reinventing leftovers is really fun. I usually save leftover crockpot chicken to make chicken tacos the next day, but today will be different. Stay tuned to the end of this post to find out what's for dinner tonight.

Yesterday I made a favorite staple in this house...a whole chicken. They are so affordable and can feed a family of 5 for two days. I have yet to figure out the difference between a whole fryer and a whole roaster, so I buy whatever is on sale and they taste exactly the same to me! This meal is made using a fryer chicken that I got for under $5!!!

Step One: chop up one or two small onions, 4 whole carrots (I had five left in the bag, so the guinea pigs got a treat that they gobbled up in a matter of minutes), and 3 stalks of celery from the heart. I love to chop up the leaves on the celery and throw those in as well. They taste like fresh parsley to me. Rachel Ray taught me that little trick years ago.
Next, I added the chopped veggies into the crockpot, along with 3 large spoonfuls of minced garlic. I buy garlic in a jar and keep it in the fridge, rather than use fresh garlic. I know people who will say it is just not the same and isn't as flavorful, but I disagree. I use a LOT of garlic and it tastes the same to me and is much less hassle! I don't particularly like peeling and cutting garlic, which leaves my hands stinky for days! The jarred stuff does the trick for me!

Next I wash chicken, remove the gizzards and pat it dry. I lay it breast side up in the crockpot, right on top of the veggies and season it with a LOT of salt, pepper, poultry seasoning and a little Old Bay (for a tiny little kick). If the kids weren't going to be eating it, I'd add a lot of Old Bay and probably some jalapenos. I really, really love spicy food. I'd eat spicy all day long if I could.


I put the lid on top and let it cook on low for about 6-7 hours. During the day I made myself a salad for lunch and had some extra tomatoes chopped up, so I opened the lid and threw them in!



For sides I made some steamed asparagus, whole wheat Kraft macaroni and cheese and mashed potatoes. I made two starches because the kids like Mac and Cheese in their thermoses for lunch, so I let them have a little for dinner and saved the rest for lunch boxes.


The five of us ate about half of the chicken, so I shredded up the leftovers and put them in the fridge. Tonight I am going to throw them into a chicken and spinach casserole. The recipe will be shared tomorrow!
In the meantime, here are a couple new layouts I made while Z napped today....


These pics were from Cedar Point last year. Too cute not to scrap! I think I'm going to try to switch to 8.5 x 11 for awhile. The kids' 12x12 albums are just about full for this year and it's more time-saving to work on smaller pages. I'm sure I'll be doing a mix of all sizes.


This is a really old pic, but I love it. It's kind of hard to see, but Matt drew a pic of himself in chalk on the sidewalk with a speech bubble that says, "I Love Dad!"






4 comments:

  1. yum yum yum! I love making whole chickens in the crockpot too, have you ever tried a turkey breast in the crockpot? Yum! How do you make gravy? Mine never comes out good:(

    We had a whole chicken for dinner Saturday and leftovers Sunday! I am not so good with the reinventing of leftovers, so please post your casserole recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a crockpot and I think we've used it once!!! Thanks for the recipe - I'll have to give it a try.

    ReplyDelete
  3. ooo yes post more slow cooker recipes on your blog or something!!

    I recently started following the A Year of Slow Cooking blog but haven't yet made anything. lol

    ReplyDelete
  4. totally going to have to try this ... maybe even tonight, juat have to go buy a chicken

    the difference between the fryer and the roaster is the age of the chicken before it goes to the store. i belive the roaster is older (your suppose to cook it longer, and there's supose to be more flavor) and i watch way too much good eats .... thats where i remember hearing about the two kinds of chickens.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin