Friday, October 22, 2010

Slow-Cooker Italian Sausage and Peppers with Cole Slaw

Yesterday's recipe was for a meatball sub and I said that I reserved the leftover sauce to be used for today's Italian Sausage and Peppers.

Today is another cheater recipe. I feel like most of my recipes would be candidates on Sandra Lee's Semi-Homemade, because I use a lot of pre-made foods to make my life easier. Nothing wrong with that, right?

So, here's how I do it. (And all ingredients can be increased or decreased to accomodate your crowd. I made this on Christmas for about 50 relatives.)

First I sliced about 3-4 onions and 2 green peppers into large chunks or slices and put them at the bottom of the crockpot. Next I layered the Italian sausages on top. Today I put about 6 sausages on the top, but I have purchased sausage at Sam's Club in jumbo packs and layered lots in there. Today I chose sweet, Italian sausage, but this works well with spicy sausage too!

Next I dumped the leftover sauce from the meatballs on top, and I added one can of diced tomatoes to get it some texture. If you don't have any leftover sauce, add one or two jars of your favorite pasta sauce, or a couple cans of diced tomates. I cooked it on low for about 7 hours. The sausages were melt-in-your-mouth soft. I served them on buns with a scoop of the peppers and onions.

I made some cole slaw on the side. For this recipe I bought pre-cut slaw mix. If you are feeling ambitious and want to shred your own cabbage and carrots, that works too! To the slaw mix I added about a half cup of plain, low-fat yogurt, about a quarter cup of white vinegar (sometimes I use red wine vinegar), a good shake of coarse salt, pepper and about a teaspoon of white sugar. If you do not have yogurt on hand, you could use mayo, but it's not nearly as healthy. Mix and chill before serving!


4 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never had cole slaw with yogurt before but that sounds good!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This going on my to MAKE list for this Sunday! Yum. I so love recipes for my slow cooker!! Thank you

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ooooh, this sounds yummy, DEF. adding this to my list. Shaun looooooves cole slaw, but I am not a fan. I sub. greek yogurt for mayo or sour cream a lot!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin