Thursday, October 21, 2010

Meatball Subs, a Challenge and some Scrap...

I have another recipe for you and this one can be a two-fer if you make it that way..
I love Subway's Meatball Subs and so I decided to make my own. It's kind of a cheater recipe because I don't make everything from scratch, but I know you ambitious chefs out there will make this your own.

I start by making my own homemade meatballs. You may be frustrated with my recipe, because, as you know, I don't like to measure!!! So, here is my recipe...don't get mad...

I start with a pound to 1 & 1/2 lbs of lean ground beef. (Sometimes I use turkey...it's whatever I have on hand). In a stainless steel bowl I combine the ground beef with one egg, a splash of milk, a handful of seasoned bread crumbs, about 4-5 cloves of minced garlic, coarse salt, pepper and a sprinkle of dried parsley. I mix it all together and form into little balls. In a saucepan large enough to hold all of the meatballs, I put a small bit of olive oil. I place the meatballs inside so that they are not squashed.

After the meatballs have browned on the bottom (not burned), I turn them over with a plastic spoon. I usually turn about one more time, on to their sides after about 5 more minutes. Drain the fat at the bottom of the pan.

Then I pour my favorite jar of pasta sauce over it. If you like it really saucy, you can pour two jars of sauce over it. (If you only like homemade...feel free to make your own sauce here. My friend Dawn, who is half Irish, half Italian, would never use jarred sauce. She would make her own homemade marinara. You do what works for your lifestyle.)

I let the meatballs simmer in the sauce on low heat for anywhere between 15 - 30 minutes.

Then I use split buns, opened flat. I place a couple slices of my favorite cheese on top of the bun. This time I used white American. Then I ladle about 3 meatballs with sauce onto the bun.

I usually create a condiment platter. It includes: shredded lettuce, sliced black olives, mild banana peppers, jalapenos, sliced tomatoes and onions. This way everyone can choose which toppings they'd like! Yummo!

Now, I served Jack, my mom, my dad, my sister, Jackie and myself and still had sauce leftover. (The kids had buttered noodles, garlic bread and a meatball on the side). I reserved the sauce when all of the meatballs were gone and used it for tonight's meal, which you'll read about tomorrow.




In scrappy news. My friend, Pam, posted a challenge on her blog to take the following ad and use it as inspiration for a scrapbook page. She has a fabulous prize for the winner at http://sewcraftbake.blogspot.com/

Here is my take on the ad challenge.... Tell me what you think...


Here are a few more new layouts that I created.














Thanks for looking!

2 comments:

  1. YumMmmm...cool take...AWESOME new LOs!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your take on the challenge!!!

    We use an Alton Brown recipe to make our meatballs (I usually make a ton then freeze them). I never use homemade sauce...Shaun and I went through a phase where we kept trying to make some, but never could get it quite right...we add 1 tbsp of sugar per jar and it comes out yum yum yummy. Can't wait to tune in next week and see what you will cook:)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin