Friday, October 29, 2010

Halloween Treats

Maddy surprised Lily with Halloween Barbie as a thank you for taking her with to Chuck E Cheese last weekend. Maddy has the same doll, so they had a blast playing with the twins. Lily said she named her witch Barbie Esmerelda and Maddy's is Griselda. LOL



We decided to make Halloween Butterfinger Cupcakes for dessert. Of course, when I took out all of my ingredients to make them, I realized that someone had used up all of my sugar without telling me. Hmmm...who could that be? Considering I rarely ever use sugar, it must have been someone who drinks coffee everyday...:)
So, while I sent him out to buy me a new 4-lb bag of sugar, I prepared all of the other ingredients the way they do on the Food Network... (I love my little glass bowls...btw...my mom bought me them for Christmas last year. I think there are about 10 nesting bowls. They are made by the Food Network. Love them!)

This recipe is courtesy of Annie Eats. (See the link on the left side of my blog). They can also be easily modified for someone like me who does not eat chocolate because neither the cupcake nor the frosting actually contain chocolate.


Halloween Butterfinger Cupcakes
Cupcake ingredients:
1 1/2 cups plus 2 tbsp. flour
2 tsp. baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
8 tbsp unsalted butter at room temp
1 1/2 cups plus 2 tbsp sugar
4 eggs
1 cup mashed bananas
2/3 cup buttermilk
12 fun size Butterfingers, cut in half
Frosting ingredients:
8 oz cream cheese, at room temp
4 tbsp unsalted butter, at room temp
1/2 cup creamy peanut butter
3 1/4 cups confectioner's sugar
1 cup frozen whipped topping, thawed
(I thought there was too much frosting, but I am not sure if halving it would be enough)
For garnish: 2-3 Butterfingers, coarsely chopped
Directions:
Preheat oven to 350*. Line cupcakes pans with papers. In a medium bowl combine flour, baking powder and salt. Set aside. In stand mixer, cream butter and sugar on medium-high speed until light and fluffy. Reduce the mixer speed to medium low and add eggs one at a time. Mix in the mashed banana until well combined. With the mixer on low speed alternately add the dry ingredients and buttermilk, beginning and ending with dry ingredients.
Fill cupcake liners about 2/3 to 3/4 full. Bake until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean, about 20-22 minutes. Allow to cool in the pan 5-10 minutes, then transfer to cooling rack.
Make frosting:
In the bowl of an electric mixer combine cream cheese, butter and peanut butter until smooth. Slowly mix in the confectioner's sugar, beating until smooth. Mix in whipped topping until fluffy.
To assemble:
Place a half candy bar on top of each cooled cupcake. Put frosting in a pastry bag ( I skipped this step and just blopped it on top), pipe onto cupcakes, covering the candy bar completely. Sprinkle with chopped candy bars for garnish.

4 comments:

  1. Oh man I haven't had a Butterfinger in FOREVER. I love those. Do they have a banana-y flavor, though, because you use bananas?

    ReplyDelete
  2. yum yum yummy! I bet the kids loved those!

    Are the Barbie's Cinderella's evil step-sisters, lol? Cute story!

    I do the same exact thing when I cook/bake. It makes everything go so much more smoothly if you are prepared! Shaun teases me about it, but I am going to tell him I'm not the only one who does this, lol!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh yum yum. I'm craving sweets now...thanks (considering it is barely 8 am!!!). I saw a little girl in a barbie costume yesterday, but figured she was Hannah Montana - she said "nope! I'm a barbie doll!"

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gosh, those cupcakes look delicious! You should be glad I don't live close to you because I would have come over and hijacked them all! Cute Halloween Barbie....love it! Great pictures.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin