Friday, October 15, 2010

Day Two of the Two-Fer: Spinach Casserole

I usually take the leftovers from a crockpot chicken and make chicken tacos with it, but this week we had already eaten quesadillas (whole wheat shells, Muenster cheese, chopped Sara Lee oven roasted turkey breast, and thinly sliced Granny Smith apples). So, I decided to change it up a bit and use the leftover chicken to make a Chicken and Spinach Casserole.

The great thing about this dish is you can make it the day before and pop it in the oven 10 minutes before you are ready for dinner.

I started by cooking down a couple spins of EVOO with about 6 cups of washed spinach and some salt. I like to use coarse Kosher salt.

When the spinach wilted down, I tossed it into a colander and pressed out as much of the water as possible. Then I coarsely chopped it.

In a medium pot I cooked a teaspoon of EVOO with 1 medium yellow onion (chopped), a clove of minced garlic (I use jarred), and salt and pepper. When the onion was soft, I added 1/4 cup of white wine (I always have some on hand. I don't think it matters what kind you use. Jack and I like our wine very sweet so we always have Reislings, Moscatos, or Gewurtztraminers on hand). When the wine was just about evaporated, I added 2 Tbsp of whole wheat flour and cooked it for about 30 seconds while whisking. I continued to whisk in 1.5 cups of half and half and a 1/2 tsp of fresh lemon juice. I brought this mixture to a boil over high.

While I was waiting for that to boil, I tore up 2 cups of whole wheat bread into bite-sized chunks and combined it in a bowl with a tablespoon of EVOO and a toss of salt.



I removed the cream mixture from heat, stirred in the spinach and 1 cup shredded leftover chicken. I seasoned it again, transferred it to a Pyrex baking dish and topped with bread. I baked it until bubbly about 8-10 minutes on 450*.



I served it with a fresh side salad! Yumm! So good and so easy!




1 comment:

  1. Mmmmm that sounds yummy! Love that you use fresh spinach instead of frozen:) Thanks for the tip on the gravy too!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin