Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Bowtie Broccoli, Potato and Leeks

This recipe is an easy way to sneak some veggies into your kids diet. Mine happen to like broccoli, but the addition of leeks is not very obvious in this dish, but adds to the health factor. This is a 2 pot dish, which I don't always love, but it is so yummy, I let it slide.

Bow Tie Pasta with Broccoli, Potato and Leeks
Ingredients:
2 medium potatoes, peeled and cut into 1 inch pieces
1 large bunch of broccoli crowns/florets, chopped
1 box bow tie pasta (I like whole wheat, but you can use rice pasta for gluten free diets)
4 TBSP butter
2 leeks, sliced into half moons
salt and pepper
1 1/2 cups grated fontina cheese
1/2 cup grated parmesan

If you haven't ever worked with leeks before...they are very yummy, mild-flavored and good for you, but they are a bit tricky to work with. The first time I worked with leeks I did not wash them as well as I should have and my meal was grainy from the sand contained in the leeks.

Here is what I have learned about how to clean leeks. First, chop off the dark green top and the bottom (like you would to a green onion). Cut the leek in half lengthwise and then slice into half-moons. Place the leeks in a colander and place that inside a bowl. Fill it with water so that the leeks are submerged. This helps to get the sand out from between the layers. I drain and repeat about 3-4 times to get all of the sand out. The water in your bowl will be dirty and sandy. That's a good thing.1. Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add the potatoes and cook 10 minutes, then add the broccoli and pasta to the same pot. Cook according to pasta directions. (Mine was for 10 minutes).
2. Meanwhile, melt the butter in a large skillet over medium heat and add the leeks, 1 1/2 tsp salt and pepper to taste. Cook until soft, about 7 minutes.
3. Reserve 1 cup of the pasta cooking water, then drain the pasta, broccoli and potatoes. Return the pasta and veggies to the pot.
4. Add the leeks tot he pot and stir in enough of the reserved cooking water to moisten. Stir in the cheeses and season with salt and pepper.

Btw...fontina cheese can be found in the specialty cheese case. I find it easy to grate with my Pampered Chef cheese grater.

The final product is oh, so good and kid friendly, too!
Last night my kids were in a hyper mood after dinner. They decided to have a race around the house in their jammies. (Well, Matt wasn't in jammies, but the girls were!)




I love these pjs....so cute!


Zoey took a break from all the running...



Lil stopped for a cheesy-grin...


I also finished a layout using my new Scarlet Lime kit...loving the colors...


3 comments:

  1. I want your Pampered Chef cheese grater!!! I've never worked with leeks before but this might be something to try...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mmmmmmhmm....good food = good times

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ohhh, this sounds good! I have never cooked with leeks. We were supposed to get them in our veggie box one time, but they gave us fennel instead.

    I was going to ask you where to look for fontina because I made mac and cheese last week that called for it, but I couldn't find it. I will have to try the fancier grocery store...they didn't even have it at the wine/cheese shop-weird, huh?

    Love the kiddies pics-Z's hair is getting so long!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin