Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Messy Summer Fun

Summer vacation has just begun for my babies and the trouble has started already. Look at this Terrible-Almost-Two-Year-Old in action! She has started the climbing phase and has decided to try climbing on absolutely everything she can get her chubby little legs up on!!! Here she is caught in the action at the kitchen table... And by the desk...

But then she flashes this cute little grin, which melts my heart and I cannot be mad at her for climbing!!


To keep the kiddos entertained and engaged in something other than tv or video games, I cracked out the Arts and Crafts books and made some homemade Oobleck. If you have never experimented with Oobleck, you must! Especially if you have kids. It is neither a solid nor a liquid and is so fun to play with. Dr. Seuss has a book to go along with the recipe. I think it's called Bartholemew and the Oobleck, or something like that!

Lily wanted hers to be pink, so I added some red food coloring.




Matt wanted his to be blue.




Then a while later, we made some homemade No-Cook Playdough. I think it was a combo of flour, salt, cornstarch, water and food coloring.




It was a bit sticky as you can see, but so fun for a kid with tactile sensitivities!! (And one without)!




The next page in the Arts and Crafts book was about making your own face paint, but it called for cold cream, which I did not have, so instead of making it, Jack took Lil out to buy some face paint. (It was cheaper too!)
Her first victim was her BFF...


Then Lily got an angel painted on her face!


Dad let Lily make herself into Rainbow Care Bear! LOL




Then it was my turn...


The concentration involved was intense...


Awww...aren't we cute?



Jack wanted to be a pirate, but Lily had trouble mixing the colors and created purple instead of brown. LOL




Ummm...ok?!?!


Can't wait to see what we'll get into next week!


2 comments:

  1. patience of a saint, heart of a teacher, and an outstanding MOTHER! You've got this summer thing DOWN to a science...NOW, whatchu got for "tween like kids"?

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMGosh-love it!! I love the face painting idea-awesome. I have done homemade play-dough, but fill me in on the oobleck stuff, what do I need?

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin